Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Magic Critical Hit Rate -- Worth stacking?

With Selenian Cap out now, players are now able to up their magic critical hit rate up to 15% total (Cap, Wise Strap, Witch Sash). Does anyone feel this might be worth it for BLM? Given the other augments you could use on the Cap (hi, Magic Accuracy+3 hMP+3), what is your opinion?

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

You don't get increasing returns (like we do with Haste) so each piece can be evaluated individually.

The augmented hat has 10% magic crit rate. A magic crit is 10 MAB, right? This means that over time, the hat will average out to 1 MAB per nuke.

The one nice thing about it is that instead of 1 MAB per nuke, you get a nice screenshottable 10 MAB every 10th nuke.

For maximum damage over time, go with INT and MAB augments. For (randomly timed) damage spikes for screenshots, take Magic Crit on your hat.

Demosthenes11

math r hard

if the individual pieces are outdone by other gear, why would you think that putting them all on would make it better?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Selenian Cap and Wise Strap are inferior to other options in their slots. Witch Sash remains the only source of Magic Critical Hit Rate that doesn't come at much cost, if any. Sorcerer's Belt will outdamage it, but Witch Sash has more Magic Accuracy.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Unfortunately MCrit is a weak stat, and wont be any good unless there is a lot more released.

As far as Selenian stats go, the two acceptable stat sets are:
    INT+4 MAcc+2 MAB+2
    and
    INT+6 MAcc+2 Fast Cast+2%
    Depending on your needs.

However the INT+4 MAcc+2 MAB+2 is the best damage augment, and is the best hat in game now for damage (unless you have full morrigan).

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Mooglemangler View Post
    With Selenian Cap out now, players are now able to up their magic critical hit rate up to 15% total (Cap, Wise Strap, Witch Sash). Does anyone feel this might be worth it for BLM? Given the other augments you could use on the Cap (hi, Magic Accuracy+3 hMP+3), what is your opinion?
    Yes, the ~1.5 MAB equivalent over time is totally worth dropping potentially 4+ INT for /sarcasm off

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Okay! Thanks for the feedback.

So pretty much everyone states that it is not worth bothering with unless you don't have to compromise another piece of gear/stat to get it? That I can understand.

I have been looking at some rough calculations with the current formula for calculating magic damage and it doesn't appear to outweigh, say, the potential +4 INT mentioned earlier. BUT, what I am trying to figure out is at what point it does become worthwhile to start trading out for in lieu of other pieces? Never? I guess I am just hoping that the setup doesn't always go : X > X > X > Mag. Crit.

Related question :
    So far it seems that there is limit to how much INT you can add before you start receiving diminishing returns. Is this cap known for certain yet? I can't find much information on it other than it is known to exist.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

That cap will never come into effect though on high level mobs, so I guess all of this is moot.

mcrit doesn't get better as you add more. if you add 10 mcrit it's roughly equal to adding 1 mab. if you add 100, it's literally equal to adding 10 mab (if 100 were even possible, ofc.) as such, there's no point in which mcrit becomes good b/c it stays as a radically inferior trait from 0% to 100%. the only viable piece is the witch sash and only b/c it ties every other item for that slot on int (except sorc belt for blm which is superior for damage) and it has the nice little 2 macc built in to it. as an added disincentive to using mcrit, int gives a bonus to macc as you add more, while mcrit does not. mcrit is basically pure fail.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Mooglemangler View Post
    at what point it does become worthwhile to start trading out for in lieu of other pieces? Never? I guess I am just hoping that the setup doesn't always go : X > X > X > Mag. Crit.
    Whatever the % magic crit rate is on a piece, divide that number by 10 and that's the MAB you are getting (on average, over a large number of nukes).

For example, the hat with 10% magic crit rate may as well say 1 MAB

An item with 3% magic crit rate may as well say 0.3 MAB

I hope that takes away the "mystery" of magic crit for you. It's really just a fancy way of giving you MAB.

Now that you've converted the magic crit % into a MAB number, it's up to you to determine what piece of gear gives you the best combination of INT and MAB - there is already lots of research on that subject.