Closed Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Answers from JP Players     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

k

fun read, some stuff that i am very shocked about, such as people using "w" i try and not use it ever because i asked what it meant once when i started off years back, was told by that JP player(the only JP guy helping a group of like 30 NAs kill G2 mobs) that he does not like when NA use it. so i just never did, most JPs understand what lol, so just stayed with that.

i think the best part for me however, has to be when he the guy said he had a girl as his account and calls GMs all the time. i could not help but LOL at that.

all in all as it stands now(maybe stuff like this can change it) JP players: 50% hate us, 40% do not hate us, but do not like us, and 1% is fine with us. this might be as they said how the game is played in Japan such s SE not telling them about the US release. or the /check seeming rude.

maybe we can ask SE to change some stuff like this.

New Odin
    BG Level

If I was JP I wouldn't like us either D: I wouldn't even like myself..I was such a beggar when I started *cough

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

o and as for what Ultramarine is its this!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ne_painted.jpg

also they do not see as saying "JP only" or "EN no thanks" as being rude? lets face it JPs get some perks such as GMs that can do more then tell you "we will look into it, tho i could be wrong lol idk

maybe we can ask them what they think about the STFU force and GMs.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

When asking someone for something, Japanese try to consider the other person’s situation, while NA players think more of there own needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragir View Post
    Wow. This answer, of all answers to all questions, is the one that bothers me the most. A case of "the pot calling the kettle black" as the old phrase goes. A quick look at any of the answers within Elmer's report clearly shows that a majority of Japanese players (much like the NA players of which they speak, of course) very much think of their own needs first and would prefer if they didn't have to think of others. All this proves, really, is that they're as misguided as nearly everyone else is, including the people(s) of whom they speak, when it comes to multicultural communication.
    "When asking someone for something". How selfish Japanese are or aren't in general is irrelevant to his statement. It's a bad generalization, but what he's saying is that NA don't take as much responsibility for their requests, and that's pretty true.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zap Brannigan
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Its great to know what jp thinks about the NA community. From what i read seems SE screw both side with this experiment. I don't blame the NA community for all the shit that happen, this was the 1st time we bump with a different culture, things that we though to be right they saw it wrong, things they though to be right we saw them wrong,we didn't have forums or guide to help us on how to behave and with the language barrier it was harder, so we were unable to find a medium and everyone started to stretch each side until we got the clusterfuck it is now. I do agree the auto translate suck so i can see why they dont like to pt with us another thing is at first when i started the game i used to do the pt thing they hate, though i deeply regret doing it since now i know better.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

very enlightening and also funny-thanks elmer. i don't know if it's the translation or they seem to speak their minds well. and here we are with 1-liners like "epic fail," etc.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adrianne Lehmen
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    I couldn't agree more.
    I couldn't disagree more.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Thank you for all the hard work Elmer! ^^ Very interesting read and also gave me the opportunity to open a discussion on the subject with a friend of mine who's studying japanese now.

If we're doing the reverse I'll ask him for his answers since he doesn't read BG.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno View Post
    Can we have them ask questions too? That would be great.

And I'm really suprized by the attempting to speak japanese thing. That took me by surprize. Good work elmer.
    Ditto. I did use the occasional JP phrase like omedetou to be courteous, but I didn't realize how much of an impression it made.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

o and as for what Ultramarine is its this!
    It usually comes across as a bit darker, IE, http://www.amazon.com/Grumbacher-Aca.../dp/B0006SJTDU or http://www.utrechtart.com/dsp_view_p...her&item=30920 or http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/br...6btnG%3DSearch

It's actually what I said it was when there was that whole discussion... but yeah, Ultramarine Blue is a typical basic "blue" color for painting, not a made up word >.>

A. Body
    BG Level

The 2nd question was the most interesting. I just noticed that JP on my server rarely use auto-trans in shouts, while non-JPs use it for practically every word. The JP seem to think that whether we're well understood or not is irrelevant.

The togetherness thing being a failure has been true since day one. The language barrier is just insurmountable and in the end, we'll all just play with people who understand us. IMO, if everyone knows their job, there's no reason people of different nations can't PT together effectively, but the lack of trust that comes from simply being strangers is made worse by not knowing wtf they're talking about. So it has more to do with xenophobia than skill or lack thereof, which is stupid. Of course, this is coming from an NA. It seems we, as a whole, are so bored and disgusted with the exp grind that making friends or holding a conversation during a PT is such a far second to actual advancement that all we’re concerned with is making the most of our time. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. JPs just gotta deal with the fact that we all feel exp to be stupid and, once you hit 75, is irrelevant to the overall game experience, so PTs are only started when necessary and only for the purpose of accomplishing a goal (e.g. re-capping buffer).

This is Ultramarine, Looks nothing like an adaberk. One person only got it right it OBVIOUSLY has to be grey.

An excellent post Elmer.

Only have a few remarks, Do the japanese really understand joke questions?, i have a feeling that maybe one or two of those reply's were a bit frowny at having fun about a computer game, and those same people seem to be the Xenophobic "lets just stay on our island and shun the outsiders" type of people who might look disgustedly at you if you walked past them in the street.

Adaberk will now and forever be that Purple-Blue-Gray colour.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Avelle Asteria
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

Thanks for doing this Elmer, it was a really interesting read, I look forward to more in the future.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I wanna know why in almost all FF games and even animes and such the main characters tend to be anglo-saxon. So much blond.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    It usually comes across as a bit darker, IE, http://www.amazon.com/Grumbacher-Aca.../dp/B0006SJTDU or http://www.utrechtart.com/dsp_view_p...her&item=30920 or http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/br...6btnG%3DSearch

It's actually what I said it was when there was that whole discussion... but yeah, Ultramarine Blue is a typical basic "blue" color for painting, not a made up word >.>

ah.

Old Merits
    BG Level

I think back to a party in the Jungles my 1st time leveling a job there, it was a JP party I was the only NA in it and I partied with them for about 3 hours. It was the thing that really got me hooked on the game. We traveled together back to Kazham.

After that I always felt NA parties were bad because of all those same things the JP players disliked, revolving door party members, people going AFK for too long, after last chain people warping out without making sure all the other party members were ok.

I don't blame them for not wanting to bother with NA players, we have all seen a lot of immature NA players running around. I was followed for almost an hour when I was lvling RNG from lvl 1-10 by a beggar one time. I couldn't believe the guy wouldn't give up. I didn't give him a single gil yet he followed me and wouldn't give up no matter how many times I told him begging was frowned upon.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Rigor View Post
    I wanna know why in almost all FF games and even animes and such the main characters tend to be anglo-saxon. So much blond.
    I read it is simply because Caucasian features are more distinctive. Even to Japanese people Caucasians are more easily identifiable.

S N K
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Japanese people don’t just hate <[ NA ]> players, they dislike <[ NA ]> players with poor manners. Also, Japanese people hate when people throw around the word JAP, even if it’s not used maliciously.
    I have told some people this shit time & time again that to a lot of Japanese players it's akin to calling someone a Nigger/Cunt/Spic/Whop/Greaser/ect. Maybe some more people will get clued in how fucking stupid they look when they call someone who's a jp player a JAP.

Excellent job on this Elmer. It was a very damn good read.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Being upset about the specific message that's displayed that is coded into the game and out of your control is beyond childish. Culture or not, give me a break.

If this ever comes up again from our side, one of the things I got to thinking about:

I've heard from my japanese teacher in college that the younger generation tends to have a following of english pop culture atleast a little bit? Maybe in terms of fashion, I don't remember. But is there a japanese equivalent of the 'weeabo'/'otaku' where they are just so in love with english culture that they reject most of their own?

Otherwise, pretty interesting responses! I know I try to use some common jp phrases when I'm pt'd with them, and try my best to use my limited knowledge and communicate what I want. Sometimes they get a little confused when they try to read roman characters I think, because it takes them a bit to get it sometimes

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast