BG Level

Interview #4

Date : 22. August. 2006
    Place : Games Convention 2007 in Leipzig/Germany

Interview #4 :
    Markus(Bercus)
    Saori Vivien Hill, Community & Service Assistant Manager
    Hiromichi Tanaka, the Senior Vice President, Software Devolopment, CE, OBM,
    He is best known as lead developer of the Final Fantasy XI team.
    Sage Sundi, Global Online Producer
    Comments will be posted in brown
    JP side chatter

Intro:

I had my Interview planned out for 60 minutes, but I got only around 5 hours before the Interview noticed that it got cut down to 30 minutes so I had to pick what was more important on Wednesday.
    I also had to cut many questions into half to not waste time by talking talking talking.
    Elmer translated all 36 questions into Japanese with a friend. Thanks again man.

And I handed them each a map with the Interview in JP and the pictures you guys made.
    When I wrote the Interview from the record I made there were a few parts I did not understand well because of all the surrounding loud people. (Interview boxes were next to each other and it was not quiet this time).

It should not be important to get most answers soon. Bringing up the problems is more important as we saw the last time that 90% of the stuff we wanted got changed. Seriously SE is listening to us. They have been really great in the last 12 months and the game got better with every Version Update.

They did some tour. They showed some CoP Cutscenes and a newbie ran right into Ouryu and died. Then they fought Fafnir in Invincible Mode. Players took damage but got no HP removed. A NIN used Mijin Gakure on Fafnir and didn´t die. They wanted to show how skillchains work but the GC-Guests were well… you will see in the video . Seems that those players never played FFXI before. However they just wanted to show what the game has to offer. (Great storylines, big NMs, cutscenes, Missions, ectect)

That´s enough of me talking, I hope a few of you guys still enjoy this small Interview and look forward to the next 2 things I have coming. Again I am very sorry that this Interview was not very interesting.

Bercus: First of all, thanks for meeting again with me. I want to thank you for the nice changed you did in the last 12 months. Almost everything that was mentioned last time got changed, like your fight against RMT or fixing Ullikummi, lowering Limbus fee, or such great Events like Assault, Salvage, they are awesome. And the planned Windower I bug you with since 2 years , and of course thank you for the open communication with NA premiere sites and the special Events where you invited them to a special Square Enix Day early this year. Maybe in Europe(London)… someday?
    (They smiled)

Sundi: Sure.
    (Saori said before, if there is demand, they will look into doing such Event)

http://freenet-homepage.de/DiamantLS/GC2007/Duno.JPG

Wings of the Goddess

Bercus: Ok I am starting with questions about the new expansion pack, Wings of the Goddess.
    Can you tell me more about new jobs? If yes, a little hint, of in what direction they will go?

Saori explains that bercus would like to know if they could even give a hint at this time, but Sundi simply chuckles at the requests of puny humans

Sundi: Basically we can´t reveal any of the new jobs and new expansion related questions. That´s kinda hard to explain…. to reveal the directions…

Bercus (I interrupted him >.<) : .. support.. melee?

Sundi (laughed) : If you focus on the past of Vana´Diel, there is some hint. That is what we can tell you about the direction of the new job.
    (We talked about the intro and they said there and if you focus on the PAST of Vana´Diel there is a hint)
    (I think we will probably only get 2 jobs not 3)

Bercus: Can you tell us if there is a main city in WotG? You don´t need to be exactly, but will there be main cities?

Sundi says there will be, but they're not necessarily called 'main cities'

Saori: We will have a few areas, but because we would like to keep the surprises, we can´t disclose any further information.

Bercus: It was revealed that monsters can become extinct in Final Fantasy XI. Does that mean killing worms outside Bastok in the past will make them disappear in the present and can they appear again? Anything you can tell us about that?

Sundi (looked to Saori):Want to explain?

Saori: We can´t explain what will happen exactly at this stage, but it wont be in a minus direction.

Bercus (I looked sad): Ok

Sundi mentions that bercus misunderstood and that monsters won't be wiped out. The past will have good effects on the present era.

Saori: We can´t really say what will happen in the past. Not today.

Bercus: Extinct sounds like they will never come back again, and that will be terrible. Like if you kill in the past all crabs in a zone, we won´t have them in this zone anymore in the present.

Sundi: That won´t happen.

Bercus: That´s what I was asking about (laughed).
    (I wanted to go more into details about extinct, but yeah 60 > 30 minutes cut)

Bercus: At what percentage at this point are you done with WotG? Is winter or this year still possible?

Sundi: It´s at about 40%.

The core in probably 100% done but there's still much to add, like new monsters.

Saori: The main content of the expansion is almost completed, so we are ready, but now we are adding things like quests.

Bercus: Corsair rolls are related to jobs, so with the new jobs in WotG we can expect new Corsair rolls?
    (They looked at each other for a few seconds)

Bercus: Yes?

Sundi+ Saori: Yes!

Bercus: Is there anything else about WotG you can tell us exclusive at this convention?

Saori: No…

Bercus: Something special that has been found out at the European convention… at the E3 there were already a few hints.

Sundi: The new expansions main focus will be for high level players. But it also goes to newer players. I am not gonna say details, but it´s not 100% high level content. There is some part… uh feature that will be for everyone.

Any player on any job will be able to participate in the new battle system, which will be the core of the new expansion.

Saori: They said that there is gonna be a new battlefield system.

Bercus: Something like Assault, Salvage?

They want to use Besieged but make it different

Saori: Not exactly in that direction. More something like Besieged

Bercus: How many people actually develop for Final Fantasy XI or for the expansion.

She asks the question, they think and guess around 80

Sundi: Around 80 people.

Saori: There are 5 people just for the Items.

Absolute Virtue

Bercus: I really need to answer that question. After 2 years across the NA, EU and Japanese player base, no one can successfully defeat Absolute Virtue. Because the problems are the 2 hours and the magic casting… the instant use of all those immense attacks. All the tips you have given in the past were about the Regen, but this is a minor issue. That´s no problem. Is there any hint you can give today or maybe at the Fan Festival? After you fixed it we can´t beat it anymore.

Sundi: I wish we could call it fix.

Bercus: The wall trick?

Sundi: Yeah. You know all the hints that we already revealed.

Bercus: That´s only about Regen.

Sundi: Yeah.

Bercus: The Regen is no problem. After 2 years we can´t beat it.

Sundi: Speed.

Bercus: The speed? How you fight it?

Sundi: Right.

They seem to think people don't understand their hint. It sounds like there aren't any other secrets yet people are clamoring for more hints, so they are confused.

Sundi: We still need to fix the hint that the wait of the Regen will be decreased if you do something.

Bercus: During the fight against AV?
    Reiterates there is a way to decrease the regen effect of AV

Sundi: During the fight. You can almost stop regening

Bercus: Regen is no problem!!!! The 2 hours are. Sealing the 2hours. One Linkshell did this. But they don´t know why, and we can´t practice more on AV, because AV is not a 100% pop. Jailer of Love is an easy fight.
    (I don´t think anyone knew what I was trying to ask)

Sundi: You have to wait till the Regen is completely stopped. Regen of the HP has completely stopped.

Bercus: Then you can stop the other abilities?

Sundi: No. Only the speed of the Regen. At this time, by doing certain action during the fight.

Bercus: And then the whole monster will clam down and stop using these crazy attacks and 2hours? That´s what we need to know because that´s the problem.

Saori: There are still a few secrets.

Sundi: Yeah.

Bercus: You offered to maybe beat it at the Fan Festival by Development people. Is this still possible? Can you show people how to beat it at the Fan Festival?
    (I looked at Sundi who started laughing)
    I think you brought it up right, at one Interview at the E3.

Sundi: Possible..

Bercus: No cheating when you do that. (everyone laughed)… normal equipment.

Explaining the request to show players a fight against AV

Sundi: What about not the fight, but taking a video?

Bercus: That´s ok too. (Sundi smiled) Ok, let´s not waste all our time about AV.
    (I will E-Mail them a 20-30 question Interview after the VU and will get responds to all those questions more detailed asap, also about AV)

Inventory

Bercus: The current increase of storage with the mog locker to 80 is a real nice addition, we love it. But what many people really need to have increased inventory to carry Items around. We have the game heavy equipment based, we have 18 jobs and for some slots 4-5 pieces of gear, medicine. So even with the PS2 limitations, is there any way to increase the amount of items we can carry around? Maybe a bag just for medicine or stuff like that?

They seem to like the storage amount as it is now, and there has been lots of space added.

Saori: At the moment, we have no intension to allow any more Items to be carried around. One reason is because we … of course we understand you want to carry all your Items around… but it could also effect the economy. We want to keep the balance people selling and buying.

Bercus: The problem is not about sell and buy. We keep those Items. We are often at 57 of 60 Items when we go on Missions or Fights. Or when we go to EXP Party, we can only collect Items for 3 slots.
    (That was an example guys of course we are not always on 57)

Everyone: Hmmm….

Bercus: Maybe you can consider that later and answer via E-Mail.
    (Short break)

”3 Kings”

Bercus:
    Now one of the biggest problems that has been brought up already last year.
    Should every player in the game have every item, no of course, we want to keep Items rare. But should every player in the game have a chance at every item, yes. Those mobs are not difficult, the fights are usually easy. Fafnir, Aspid, King Behemoth, we can kill them with low amounts of people. The problems are the cheaters. The 3rd party program users. Those will most likely claim.
    So the question is, do you have plans to prevent botting instead of banning. Most people are usually account buyers, they don´t care about getting banned. Maybe adjust the code every month.

(I meant adjust the claiming code)

Sundi: There is some kind of system to detect if you are using a 3rd party tool, but it is not 100%. So if you are using a really good tool, it is almost impossible to detect. So your question is, is there a way to detect tools, our answer will be no, it is almost impossible.

Bercus: So people can keep botting. And the fair players will never have a chance at these monsters? That´s why we ask for instancing these monsters.

Sundi: One way for you is to report these players.

Bercus: We do.

Sundi: I know, we receive like 300-400 E-Mails/week about reporting players, and this includes all the names. So every time you guys give us those names, we count it up and monitor the players. And we check them and can do something.
    (So guys, report people you know that bot. Include name, zone and time when it happened. The more people report this person the sooner they will start monitoring these players and check their packets ect, they can´t detect all players with their tool, they need your help for this too so they can ban those who use really good tools)

Saori: This is an interesting answer. If you can report people to us, we will monitor those people and it will help us to detect those people.

Bercus: Can you tell us what was the whole idea with Einherjar? The linking of monsters, like you pull one bat and all bats, even if they are far away, link to you and the randomness.

Saori: It depends on the distance, so not all will link.

Bercus: You are sure? We have done it a few times, and if you pull one Skellet standing around alone all will link, no matter where they are or from where we pull them.
    (Did I miss something? I am sure it doesnt matter on distance. Everything will link.)

It sounds like this question was rewritten or chopped up. They can't find where it talks about monsters linking.

http://freenet-homepage.de/DiamantLS...uestion18b.JPG

Saori: Can you E-Mail us this question? Basically this area was supposed to be a very difficult area. It´s not like you can prepare for it before and will know what will be inside. That´s the reason why it is so random.

Macro lines

Bercus: Are there any plans to extend the number of lines in each macro? An update to it would really appreciated. Especially with WotG we will get more gear and jobs. 5 lines is not a lot anymore, when I cast different spells I sometimes have to press 4 different macros to switch to all the gear I want.

Saori: We are aware that there is a huge demand that you would like to have more macros and that you would like to save more macros. It is really difficult and will be a big change for the system. So if we start working on it, it will take some time.

Bercus: You don´t plan it?

Sundi: No.

Bercus: That´s bad =(.
    (Oh I will send stuff about this again via E-Mail for SURE )

Window Mode

Bercus: You are adding a Windowed version with the Wings of the Goddess. The two biggest reasons are that people will be able to multi-task and have more macro space. Can you tell us anything what the new official Windowed mode will offer.

Sundi: Just a regular windowed mode. Just like other Windows applications, there is no special feature, just a windowed mode.

Auto-Sort

Bercus: Often times people party for extended periods of time and get a lot of crystals and Beastman Seals and Kindred Seals ect. They find it difficult to constantly go into their inventory and re-sort after every monster. Also, they sometimes forget and start losing those items that go into their inventory? Can this be adjusted so items auto-sort when you receive them?

Saori: This was something we considered too in the past. Having this auto-sort in inventory. However we had a discussion internally, there were like a few points which were mentioned that it is not always a good thing. For some players it might not work in the way they wanted thats why we did not consider it anymore. It really depends on what the users would like.

Bercus: I know a lot of people who want this. When you EXP a long time. And you make high chains, it is terrible to always go into your inventory and sort and keep fighting.

Bercus: Maybe you can make it so people can enable and disable auto-sort, so those who want it can sort and those who don't want to don't sort.

Everyone: (laughed)

Saori: That´s exactly what he said (Hiromichi Tanaka).

Everyone: (laughed)

Bercus: Maybe I should start working for you.

Everyone: (laughed again)

Gil/Economy

Bercus: Gil. With the banning and Dynamis, the AH fees, Limbus fees, Chocobos ect. There is a lot of gil taken out of the economy. Monsters just drop low minor gil, missions also don´t give a lot of gil. Do you have plans to help the pain of the current economic status? 1 Million for Dynamis is a lot now.

Sundi: This is mainly because of the mass banning. So it is only a side effect. It could be getting better or back to normal. So at this stage we are not planning to add new features or new Items or ways to make gil. I guess we will just have to see it a couple months.

Bercus: I need more gil each month then I make and started to sell my low level gear.

Sundi: Like I said that´s the side effect. We are banning more then a thousand accounts/month.
    (A lady said this will be my last question >.<)

Sundi: Oh we can also send you answers via E-Mail. Also if you want to ask other questions.

Account Stealing

Bercus: Account stealing. Right now you can only get your character back when you know the current CC Infos, which of course can´t know because the thief changed it. But the original owner has the CD Codes and the informations before. Do you think you can use additional layers of security? So that the original owners can actually get their characters back. Its common in online games. You make friends, you trust them, you go on vacation and give them your informations. You come back and they stole your account.
    But you still have all the codes.

Sundi: This is a very sensitive answer, but we have an answer.

Saori: First of all, it is very very important to keep your infos to yourself. You have to protect yourself. If you go to internet cafes, use the Guest Log in and rather then creating a Log-In account. It is also important to not use 3rd party tools. Those can steal your ID and Passwords. However if you find out your account has been stolen please contact the POL-Center. I can´t say at this stage that we will make changes, but there are ways we can find out the past information to recover your account.

http://freenet-homepage.de/DiamantLS/GC2007/Theend.JPG

After the last question I showed them the pictures. I wanted to show them the pictures
    related to questions and maybe disucss everything with them, but sadly like mentioned
    my Interview got cut down by 50%. Well I showed them the Reward->Difficult chart from Lordwafik
    and mentioned quick a few things. I will go more into detail via E-Mail.

http://freenet-homepage.de/DiamantLS...rewardsjpg.JPG

Then I showed them the other graphic. With the 30 minutes windows and the 2 minutes focus. Haha they laughed
    about it but in a postive way how the tarus were there sleeping with a "zzZZzzZz" bubble.
    I will also go into detail about this graphic via E-Mail and send everything the SE people.

http://freenet-homepage.de/DiamantLS.../bg3kings2.JPG

I try my best to bring up everything to SE. It is just a matter of time to see the actual changes.
    We can´t say nothing has changed in the last 12 month. Over all the updates and patches/changes whatever were
    great imo.

The end

http://freenet-homepage.de/DiamantLS...ercusSundi.JPG

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Re: Decent Interview #4

Woot, Go Bercus.

Nikkei's Hoe
    Worse than her at uno

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eanae Hikari
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

reading woot.

Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

BG Level

the colors, man

With milk. With love
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

Nice work Bercus!

edit: In Before the Wut?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Nice interview. Especially that one part.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Wasnt too bad of an interview, it's always nice to touch base with SE regardless of the outcome.

Thanks as always Bercus.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Interesting interview. They still appear to be rather out of touch with the player base (shocking!) though and they provided you with almost no information (hope the emails prove interesting). Good try, Bercus You rock!

edit: nice job on the red graphics. Sundi must have been happy lol

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Nice interviewing Bercus, shame they didn't say very much, but was an interesting read nonetheless.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Velen

Thanks Bercus, I know it must have been frustrating, but way to stick with it.

Banned.

BG Level

=D> Very nice stuff.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Good to see positive responds, because I was really disapointed about everything and didnt even want to post it at all .
    Anyway good night.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    Wasnt too bad of an interview, it's always nice to touch base with SE regardless of the outcome.

Thanks as always Bercus.

Kudos

Banned.

BG Level

well it is SE after all, sucks the interview was cut short, and... where is the video? <.<

Banned.

BG Level

Nice job Bercus, though I'm a little disappointed about the WotG section. I think "Can you tell us anything about WotG?" should have been the first question in that part instead of being towards the end, would have saved a lot of time.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Thanks for sharing.

But honestly, I feel like I've read this interview before. Probably about a thousand times. Why do they bother giving interviews?

They should just setup an interview bot:

Interviewer: Hello! Thanks for your time.
    InterviewBot: Hello.
    Interviewer: Could you tell us what kind of new jobs are going to be in the expansion?
    InterviewBot: Not at this time.
    Interviewer: Could you tell us how to beat AV?
    InterviewBot: Regen. Also, become smarter, and more Japanese.
    Interviewer: Oooooo kay, how about kings? Any chance of making the drops available somewhere else?
    InterviewBot: Wut?
    Interviewer: Drops? Like loot, things that keep people playing to better their characters?
    InterviewBot: We have looked into it and determined that we cannot discuss that at this time.

A. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

who's the chick sitting on the floor in that one picture >.>

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lordender
    Asian sex slave.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Lordender
    Imperial ball washer.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Asrun
    Thanks for sharing.
    But honestly, I feel like I've read this interview before. Probably about a thousand times. Why do they bother giving interviews?
    I asked that too. I got answered questions about the past are better. Because they can´t tell us anything about the future ectect.

well it is SE after all, sucks the interview was cut short, and... where is the video? <.<
    My sisters BF will convert it and then you guys can download it.
    Not really interesting but I will post a few videos of how to Melee Fafnir from behind LOL.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast