+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Digital to Analog     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Digital to Analog

So I just bought a Samsung LCD tv and it's very nice. However I wanted to use the picture in picture option to watch TV while i was playing FFXI but the tv will only do PIP for one analog and one digital source witch won't work since my cable box is digital. Does anyone know how to make the TV see my cable box as analog so that the PUP will work or maybe see my PS2 as analog?

Thanks in advance

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Re: Digital to Analog

You need a digital-to-analog converter box. There should be a lot of places to get one since everyone who still has an old TV will need one in Feb 2009 when all TV signals go digital.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

I think if you hook your cable box to your TV with coaxial or composite cables it is an analog signal sent with those cables though I might be mistaken. What cables are you connecting your box to your TV with?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by zoobernut
    I think if you hook your cable box to your TV with coaxial or composite cables it is an analog signal sent with those cables though I might be mistaken. What cables are you connecting your box to your TV with?

Yea I'm using coax now witch is why I was so confused

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

hey Dak im a technician for a cable provider that i wish to keep nameless for sake of hate messages but if you can hold out till monday im sure i can get anaswer. im still trying to understand tho. youre using coax to watch tv but are u using a different input to play ffxi? if so you wont be able to use pip because the input youre using for ffxi isnt receiving the cable signal. dont think there really is away unless u use the ps2 adapter and run ffxi thru the coax.

just had a thought but i think u need to run both signals some how through the same input to be able use it that way.

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Yeah. I actually don't know how to do my PiP either. I have a Samsung 32" HDTV and a HD box from my cable company. I have the 5 component cables hooked up between it and my TV, but the PIP with the TV doesn't work. D:

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

i know on the hd/dvr boxes there are av inputs on the front of them. check to see if u have inputs on your box. if u do try that. your box might have to be on ch.4 or something to be able to get ffxi on the screen. then if that works then try your pip u should be able to change that channel.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Ok do here is the deal

the PiP on my tv only works under one situation. that's when I want to use one window to view a digital source and one to view an analog source, it will never work to view two different stations.

Right now my PS2 is connected to the TV via the Red/Yellow/White cables, these create a digital signal. The coax cable form my cable box also creates a digital signal even though it's coax because comcast has retarded cable boxes. So in some way I need to make the TV think the signal form the cable box is analog even though the box spits out digital.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

Wasn't your question answered with the first post? The box people with older TV's need... seems like that would do the trick.

What the hell kind of PiP is that anyways. I mean how does that help anyone that just uses TV for TV?

netz

Quote Originally Posted by Dakana
    Ok do here is the deal

the PiP on my tv only works under one situation. that's when I want to use one window to view a digital source and one to view an analog source, it will never work to view two different stations.

Right now my PS2 is connected to the TV via the Red/Yellow/White cables, these create a digital signal. The coax cable form my cable box also creates a digital signal even though it's coax because comcast has retarded cable boxes. So in some way I need to make the TV think the signal form the cable box is analog even though the box spits out digital.
    Wait a minute. PS2 via red/yellow/white is composite; that's analog. Component is analog, too. Those are the Y/Pb/Pr connectors. To get digital, you need to connect your cable box via HDMI/DVI.

(also, due to the fact the TV doesn't have the tuner, PiP between cable stations can probably be done by your cable box)

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by netz
    Ok do here is the deal

Wait a minute. PS2 via red/yellow/white is composite; that's analog. Component is analog, too. Those are the Y/Pb/Pr connectors. To get digital, you need to connect your cable box via HDMI/DVI.

(also, due to the fact the TV doesn't have the tuner, PiP between cable stations can probably be done by your cable box)

Bitches lied to me. /fume

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by netz
    Ok do here is the deal

I'll double up this post, yea right now you're hooked up via both analog sources. Chances are you're box is also a standard def box too so the chance of it having HDMI/DVI outputs are kinda hit and miss. So yea coax, Component and Composite are all analog signal wires, not digital. Bad for whoever told you otherwise

btw...

You need a digital-to-analog converter box. There should be a lot of places to get one since everyone who still has an old TV will need one in Feb 2009 when all TV signals go digital.
    From my understanding this is only for airwave signals which currently broadcast in analog, don't exactly know 100% since I'm Canadian but from what I hear it's not the actual signal from cable companies that is being changed but how broadcaster can send signals.

yes... I do work for a Cable company

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

Your PiP isn't going to work unless you have a DVR for the fact that normally, a reg. box and even a HD reg. box only have 1 cable tuner. 1 tuner= 1 signal= no PiP. get a DVR, will have an extra tuner built in.